The big storm

Well the weatherman is projecting some serious rain over the next few days.

Luckily most of our grapes are now safely fermenting away in the winery and what's left should weather pretty much anything. 

Well... except the Pinot Noir.  Despite our best efforts there's a smidge of pinot still hanging in one vineyard.  We made a strategic decision to pick our massive crop of Tempranillo before finishing the last of the pinot.  The tempranillo looks amazing so it is definitely worth it.

 

.  

one bunch of tempranillo can be more than enough for a bottle

one bunch of tempranillo can be more than enough for a bottle

So far the pinot us holding on but we now have to wait almost a week before we can finish up.  Why?  Weĺl because a) the weather is predicted to be awful b) I dont have any empty fermenters left until I ferment and press what we've already picked and c) even if I had fermenters and good weather I dont have empty space to put another fermenter.  Yes we're full to the rafters right now.  Not a square inch free anywhere.

 

the pinot noir with a little frost damage on the leaves

the pinot noir with a little frost damage on the leaves

So we're in a holding pattern with just a few picking days left before we're done.

So far it's looking like a record harvest may be in the works - or at least on par with our amazing 2015 crop.